Friday, May 11, 2012

A Letter From Dave Root MWF Lapidary Chair

Greetings, my name is Dave Root and I am the lapidary chairman for the Midwest Federation of Mineralogical & Geological Societies. I came to this position after the untimely passing of my predecessor Roger K. Pabian, but I fear I am ill-qualified for it. I know a bit about faceting but I’m fairly ignorant about the other forms of the lapidary arts. I’m aware of a few gifted people from clubs in my own neck of the woods, but I am certain there are many, many more out there in the clubs that make up the Midwest Federation.
What I am trying to do is create a lapidary skills database. So if we have a member of one of our clubs that, say, was trying to take up stone carving and had questions or problems there would be a resource where he could go to get answers.
The purpose of this communication is to request that if you have club members who are particularly talented in one or more of the lapidary arts, to send me their names, specialty and contact information.  I’m looking for those skilled at polishing, cabochons, carving, intarsa, silversmithing, faceting, gem pictures and trees, wirewrap and any other form of lapidary art that I failed to mention. Please put “Lapidary Skills Database” in the subject line and also include the name of your club and your state.
Note:
I assembled my lists of email addresses from the 2011 MWF directory. Where possible I sent the message to the president of the club, however there are some clubs that did not have an email address listed for the president. In those cases I used any email address I could find. So if you are wondering “Why did he send this to me?” that’s why. If you do not feel you should have gotten this message please forward it to the appropriate person.

Thank you for taking the time to help me with this project.

Dave Root
MWF Lapidary Chair

No comments:

Post a Comment